I remember when I was growing up in the urban environment of Bandar Baru Bangi, there was plenty much to do as a kid, even though by today's standards, maybe all the thing we've done was probably boring and out dated. Well I tell you snotty kids what, at least we played with mud, sand and dirt (are they all the same thing?)rather than you guys just sitting in your room playing your console games or some Korean online games! Here's those of that I could remember lah.
1. Guli or marbles. Now that I think of it, its just some kinda gamble or judi as you may call it. Because as we play, we're exchanging the marbles that we lost and that we won with the other dudes. Those who have that special and really heavy shooting marbles usually won much and pretty much became the "God of marbles" huuhu. Btw I was kinda ok la main guli nih..Just an average dude hehe. Have to be careful actually to find a really good spot to play, usually on some sandy and tarred road la. Sometimes got tahi kucing haha so gotta be really careful!
2. Actually I was kinda underage I guess but I dont give a damn. Playing arcade games are the best things in the world back then, and its kinda exciting playing in those dark rooms, and the older dudes smoking their joints and stuffs. But I'll be just fine playing alone with King of Fighters, Street Fighter vs SNK, Daytona, Rival School and all those other stuffs. I hate it when I was minding my own business playing some kinda Initial D game on my own that a really cocky Chinese dude challenge me. Come on la aku nak enjoy je kot hhuhu.. He looks really hardcore and yup in the end I had to eat his dust as my car was sliding left and right like I was drunk. But hey that's ok.
3. Practically my first original and I think my only Tamiya is the Dash 4 Cannonball. I was tricked by its cartoon series though haha..Later on I still collected those cool little cars because its so much fun assembling all those little parts and if I lose even one wheel bearing I would go crazy because then it makes the wheels unstable and it goes like shit. A few weeks later I would go all around Bangi and Kajang searching for more of the little cars but not Tamiya branded because they're just damn expensive. I also couldn't afford the accessories, charged batteries and super modified or super fast engines. It was fun though.
4. Well since I was miskin, I could only afford the first generation Digimon device, which was really for me quite cool already. Hey RM20 was pretty much for a school kid those days man. So there I was, being one of those guys in school who has a Digimon. Though I was not stupid enough to bring it to school la. At least my first attempt to raise a Digimon ended with it being Greymon and not just any other Digimon that literally spits shit out of himself. Most of the battles with my the other dudes I won, but then I got out of season with being maybe the only guy with a first generation Digimon. Good times though.
5. Back in the days when there were still a bit of hutan left in Bangi, I used to scourge around and just explore with my little purple LeRun Shimano bike. I dont give a damn about all those sweating, and frankly my parents didn't really care where I went and what I do, so much so that they trust me huh. Btw, it was fun taking my time in the weekends maybe around after Asar, when the sun was not that bright anymore, just to have a stroll by myself. I'm lucky that I've never been hit by anything on my bike in my life. But yes many times aku jatuh basikal la, but all because of myself, who doesn't huh.
6. Football is actually until now one of my most passionate hobbies. At Belgium, we used to play among us kids using empty milk boxes or tin cans so we kinda kick them around hehe. Then when I got back to Malaysia, I was still in love with football. So every petang after my sekolah agama, I didn't really went home first, I straightaway go to the field and play with the guys with my white pants and sekolah agama uniform hehe. My mum used to complain of why I have so many bocor especially on the lutut part of my pants. We all played barefooted and I dont really know how to shoot so I kinda sepak tonjol all the time, which hurt my toe a lot and sometimes I stepped on duri semalu, which makes it worse really. But hey, there's no fun without a challenge right heh.
7. Reading comic books was the "in" thing. I guess. Or am I a nerd? Hmm. Anyway, the very first one that I bought was a Doraemon, which really opened my eyes to Japanese mangas. Then, as the other boys does, I kinda got hooked up with Mutiara Naga, Dragon Ball. Whoever gets the earliest copies can be rightly called the coolest guy in the class. I used to paddle all the way to Pasar Mini Kiat Seong just to check out the latest comic books available. Usually it was on a Friday, just before my Friday prayers at the nearby Ustaz Dato' Harun Din's Surau An-Nur. The surau was small, but it has that certain tranquility about it..I don't know..Anyways, my usual hitherto was to buy my comic books, I used to get hooked on Hong Kong ones, and then I paddled to Surau An-Nur, with the comics in my sekolah agama school bag for that afternoon hehe. Damn I used the bike a lot back then.
8. Anyone who has a PlayStation at home by then was surely being targeted by their fellow dude friends. I used to crash a lot at Zulfahmi's for a game of F1 or some other stupid stuffs. But mostly I went to Johan's and I kinda played all sort of stupid games, wrestling, fighting, racing and some other stuffs. I think at times he got so bored at me for coming all the time haha sorry man really my fault =p I cant really beat the guy at most games because he was like this "Game King" but usually we were on par in fighting games and racing games hehe. I miss those stupid early 90's Formula1 games.
9. Well the next best thing that I've got was only to be, the Micro Genius, a console game with the most ridiculous looks ever and other funny shit. PolyStation, or anything that it can be called. But one thing that I respect and only game that I was satisfied about was the Rockman series, which later evolved into MegamanX and RockmanX. Old school games rocks man. The funny thing is, usually the console games like PolyStation and some shit costs only around RM100 or something, but the cartridges cost a fortune, like RM50 and at times more than it should be. I couldn't be bothered though.
10. Yes I used to play the gasing. Its not really that traditional really. Its not that hard either. I used to play it only by myself however, because I don't want my gasing to be spliced into half by the other dudes.
11. On a windy day, playing paper planes or kapal terbang kertas is the best thing to do. It is satisfying to see your plane flying gracefully by the force of the wind. It helps too that my house has a lot of space, being a corner lot hhuhu.